Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Creative Opinion - Responses

Back in the beginning of October I asked for opinions about whether people were noticing an influx of stock and were photographer and rep sites being used as an alternative to stock houses [here].

A couple of art buyers responded with the following:

I find that very few reps actually have stock on their sites and if they do-they are not very searchable.
Art and Commerce is the best one I think however they almost all use top models so you have to find out all the details and gain those rights.
I wish more agencies did sell stock.

We frequently search photographers sites for stock. it takes more time and doesn’t work out always but when it does it’s a higher quality creative that you can deliver to the client. also, if I’m renegotiating talent from one of our shoots the agents feel like they have it on us, and can be unreasonably demanding. in contacting these talent I’ve found they are much more agreeable to deal and negotiate with. since the image has been released by the client it was originally shot for, maybe it wouldn’t have ever gone anywhere or stimulated any more income so, it’s good news for them.

From photographers/peers:
I've been working with an ad agency in Chicago for the past 3 weeks. The rep I've been dealing with would rather deal with the photographers and not the stock agencies.
I prefer not to deal with the stock agencies

Only the mid-level players seem to toggle between stock and assignment. The higher end clients still need proprietary imagery and the low end (catalogs etc) have no choice. Generally speaking, everyone has put the brakes on for a month or so but I am getting calls almost every day lately so 'somebody' is hiring! (budgets are another story though....)

I am an editorial, corporate, advertising shooter in the Chicago market. Assignments are down and my stock agency, Photoshelter, is closing. I am considering moving my stock sales in-house in my website rather than with another stock house. Glad to hear there is some market for this.
blog comments powered by Disqus