Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Hitting the wall

There comes a time every once in a while where you hit a creative wall and aren't sure what the next step is. Reason I haven't posted in a few days... I hit a wall and wasn't sure which topic to discuss. I try to pull from my experiences as an art buyer and I also pull from the creative community (questions from artists, images from artists, discussions on blogs or articles from advertising/design sites).

The last few days I tried to think of things to share and was not coming up with anything. I personally don't feel like I have to post everyday just to post, I want to make sure it's relevant, interesting or entertaining but I do want to make sure I post frequently to keep people coming back to the blog and to promote discussions or thoughts.

So what to write about when I can't think of something to write... creative blocks. Do you get them and if so what do you do? Do you have a process or do you pick up your camera and run outside or into the studio?

I don't believe creative blocks come from self doubt or low self esteem or something from psychology monthly (Van Gogh cut an ear off.. I'm certainly not headed in that direction). But I do believe all creatives at some point experience creative highs and lows, the lows when they are not thrilled with what they are producing.

For me I think one of the solutions is keep pushing forward, I think laziness begets laziness. If you start suffering from inertia it can become your worst enemy and in the long run it makes it harder to create something. If you're running low on creative fuel, run with ideas... any idea because from just doing and being active with your work can come something fantastic.

Dad always says Carpe Diem (Seize the Day).
blog comments powered by Disqus